Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes




Thought I would post the pic right away to tempt you all!  Aren't they gorgeous! 

Since we don't have church until 10 on Sundays now, I get to bake more often and have a lazier Sunday morning.  I have been wanting to try these babies since I pinned them about a month ago.  I love having my kids eat their veggies for breakfast (although, I can't remember if pumpking is vegetable or fruit, but who cares, it is loaded with nutrition!).Today seemed like a good pumpking pancake day!  You know frost on the rooftops, chilly house ( I am not turning the furnace on when we are supposed to be up in th 70s again!) and it is October! 

The pancakes were easy to make.  I as usual did my substitiutions!  I didn't have buttermilk, so I added 1T of white vinger to milk to make a cup.  I also did 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 2 cups of all purpose flour instead of 3 cups of all purpose.  Anytime I can sneak in the fiber, I will take advantage of it!  I also tried to make jack-o-lantern faces with chocolate chips on one side, which failed!  And when I make these in the future I will be adding mini chocolate chips to the batter!  That is how we roll in this house!  Chocolate makes everything better!

Pumpkin Pancakes

3 c flour
3/4 t salt
2 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
3 T brown sugar
15 oz can pure pumpking (not pumpkin pie mix)
3 c. buttermilk
3 eggs

In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and brown sugar; combining well.  Add pumpkin, buttermilk and eggs to dry ingredients.  Mix gently (if the batter seems too stiff, add some water until it can easily be spooned on the griddle).  Heat griddle to medium heat and grease lightly ( I do this at the beginning because mine takes so long to heat up).  Scoop about 1/3 c of batter onto griddle and let cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.  Flip and let other side cook until lightly browned.  Repeat until all batter is used.  Makes about 16-20 pancakes. 

Original recipe comes from highheelsandgrills.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment