Sunday, October 21, 2012

A little something chocolate

Last week, I made a wonderfully, scrumptiously, delicious little dessert called Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake.  Now don't let the oatmeal throw you!  This cake is amazing!  My friend who is avoiding gluten at the moment couldn't even resist it!  She asked for the recipe to try and make it gluten free for the time being!  It really is just that good!  It also made my kitchen smell amazing!  I like to bake before people come over so that they think I spend all my time baking instead of cleaning!  Anyway, I got this recipe back in college.  I printed it off on April 12, 2000 to be exact from online-cookbook.com.  Don't know if it even exists anymore!  So without further ado, here is the recipe!  Sorry no pics...We ate it all before I could snap a picture....

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

1 3/4 c boiling water
1 c oatmeal, quick or old-fashioned
1 c lightly packed brown sugar
1 c sugar
1/2 c margarine or butter
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 3/4 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
4 T cocoa
12 oz chocolate chips (1 pkg)
3/4 c chopped nuts, optional

Pour boiling water over oatmeal.  Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.  Add sugars and margarine. Stir until margarine melts.  Add eggs, flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa to sugar mixture and mix well.  Add about half of the chocolate chips.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle nuts (if you want), remainder of chocolate chips and 1/4 c additional sugar on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. That's Scott's Mom's recipe!! I have made that on occassion but not to often because the pan disappears why too fast!!! Now you made me hungry for it-- perhaps I will have to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete