Thursday, October 25, 2012

Meatball Sub Casserole

So this recipe is one of my most requested.  Mainly, by my little sister, but hey, she is still requesting it.  When this dish is on the menu, I have to let her know, so that we can find a time that she can join us for dinner.  Well, I made it Tuesday without consulting her.  No worries though, she same by today to bring me a wig for my Halloween costume and she got to have the leftovers.  It does reheat really well.  Typically if my sister is here, she and the hubby eat about 3/4 of a 9x13 casserole!  I have posted it on my facebook page in the past and everyone that has it, loves it.  I got the original recipe from Taste of Home Quick Cooking 2000, but in typical Julie fashion I have changed it up to make it easier and a tad healthier! 

Meatball Sub Casserole

Loaf of Italian bread, sliced 1" thick (I didn't have that on Tuesday, so I used 2 sub rolls, YUMMY)
frozen meatballs of your prefernce (or you can make your own)
1 8 oz pkg of cream cheese ( I use the light version)
1/2 c mayo
1 t Italian seasoning
2 c shredded mozzarella, divided
1 24-26 oz jar spaghetti sauce

Line a greased 9x13 pan with bread slices in a single layer.  Mix together cream cheese and mayo with Italian seasoning.  Spread over bread.  Sprinkle 1c of cheese over cream cheese mixture.  Place meatballs over cheese.  Pour spaghetti sauce over the meatballs.  Sprinkle remaining cheese over sauce.  Bake for 30 minutes or until heated thru in a 350 degree oven. 

(Original recipe called for adding water and garlic powder to the sauce.  I don't because it makes the bread kind of soggy and we like it crunchy!)

Sorry, no pic again!  Gotta remember to take a picture before we eat...I promise one will appear some day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment